BRASOV AND AROUND
The old town
Brasov is attested in documents since the year 1235 under the name of Corona, following Barasu – Brasov 1252 and also in 1288. This was the most important medieval cities of Transylvania, being the largest economic center of the XIV-XVII centuries.
In accordance with the oldest act of the Archives of the State of Brasov year 1353 – the privilege of the base of the city of Brasov – the commercial activity of this area was thriving, and the city was famous for the quality of goods, but especially for weapons that were produced here.The strongest guilds, formed by skilled artisans (goldsmiths, weavers, shopkeepers cloth, owners, blacksmiths, coppersmiths, tinkers etc.), have made that Brasov not remain only a point of transit trade, but it became a thriving craft center and commercial.
The construction of the city wall was built in accordance with the quality standards of the time, with bastions, defense towers and deposits. In the city there were countless workshops, shops, inns, churches, hospitals and markets. Brasov of those times was an example of organization and exploitation of existing resources.